Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty on Monday to two new charges of predatory sexual assault, as his trial was pushed back by several months.
The producer entered the plea in a Manhattan courtroom. The charges were added to his upcoming New York trial in a new indictment.
Prosecutors have previously indicated that the new indictment lays the legal foundation to enable The Sopranos star Annabella Sciorra to testify against the movie mogul.
Sciorra alleges that Weinstein raped her in 1993.
The defence criticised the new indictment in court papers, calling it an "11th-hour manoeuvre" that "raises significant legal issues" and could delay the proceedings.
Weinstein’s sexual assault trial, which was supposed to begin in September, has now been pushed to January.The movie mogul’s lawyers have sought to get the case moved out of New York City, citing pretrial publicity and claiming it would be impossible to find an impartial jury to rule on Weinstein’s case.Weinstein has denied all accusations of non-consensual sex.His lawyers said after Monday’s hearings that they would ask a judge to dismiss the new indictment."I think the case itself is weak," said his lawyer Donna Rotunno.Weinstein previously pleaded not guilty to charges accusing him of allegedly raping a woman in 2013 […]