Manhattan prosecutors on Friday urged the judge who will sentence the once-powerful film producer Harvey Weinstein to consider what they said was a four-decade history of sexual assaults against women for which he had never been charged.
A jury convicted Mr. Weinstein last week of rape and criminal sexual assault after a trial that was widely viewed as a milestone in the #MeToo movement. He faces up to 29 years in prison when he is sentenced on Wednesday.
The crimes Mr. Weinstein was found guilty of involved attacks on two women: a production assistant who testified that he forced oral sex on her at his loft in 2006, and an aspiring actress who accused him of raping her at a Manhattan hotel in 2013.
But in a sentencing memorandum in which they argued for a substantial prison term, prosecutors detailed a litany of sex crimes and instances of sexual harassment that they said Mr. Weinstein had committed starting in 1978.
Joan Illuzzi, the lead prosecutor, said the list of assaults detailed in the memo “show a lifetime of abuse toward others, sexual and otherwise.” She urged Justice James A. Burke to impose a sentence that reflected what she said was Mr. Weinstein’s “total lack of remorse for the harm he has caused.”
Ms. Illuzzi also asked Justice Burke for a sentence that sent a message to others that sexual assault in the workplace would be prosecuted and that offenders would be punished.It was, she wrote, “totally appropriate in this case to communicate to […]