Donald Galleck enters the courtroom Jan. 30 before pleading guilty to a manslaughter charge. The 30-year-old man who beat a Bangor musician to death in 2018 was sentenced Friday to eight years in prison for the manslaughter charge.
Donald Galleck, who pleaded guilty to the manslaughter charge in January, was sentenced at the Penobscot Judicial Center on Friday morning. At the sentencing, friends and family of his victim, 40-year-old Jason Moody, described how they’ve been affected by his death and argued that eight years was too lenient.
Galleck was previously charged with depraved indifference murder and intentional or knowing murder in the Nov. 11, 2018 beating of Moody, who died from his injuries two days later at Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center.
Galleck got into a confrontation with Moody after he was asked to leave Moody’s Willow Street apartment because Galleck was fighting with his girlfriend, Assistant Attorney General Donald Macomber said during the plea hearing.
A friend of Galleck’s later told police he accidentally broadcast the incident to her over his cellphone on Facebook Messenger. The video was not saved or downloaded , however, so it could not be presented to a jury as evidence.
Because of that, the woman who claimed she viewed the slaying live could not be called to testify about what she saw, according to Galleck’s defense team.
On Friday, Moody’s mother, Brenda Kurr, said that learning her son was in the hospital “was the begining of nightmare that continues to torture me to this day.” Through tears, she […]